European Conference 'Us' and 'Them': Citizenship Education in an Interdependent World / 22 till 24 October 2015 in Thessaloniki
- Category: News
the Conference invites interested parties to present their projects and / or papers at the public NECE Conference in Thessaloniki (www.nece.eu), thus contributing to the discussion of the conference’s central topic 'Us' and 'Them': Citizenship Education in an Interdependent World‘. This call is addressed to young scholars, academics, researchers, representatives of NGOs, foundations, associations, multipliers and responsible bodies from schools, non-formal and informal citizenship education from all over Europe and North Africa. The deadline for the submission of both projects and papers is 30 July 2015. The selection of papers and projects will be concluded by 21 August 2015.
The conference will discuss the phenomena and processes of ‘othering’ occurring inside and between societies in our interdependent world. We will ask what the causes, processes and consequences of othering for citizenship education are.
The subject of the conference will be applied to the following areas of particular political topicality:
- "The EU in Crisis": The impact of Europe’s economic and political division, which has triggered discourses fuelled by fears and dissociation in the core countries of the EU and nationalistic and populist movements in core countries as well as in the southern periphery of the EU.
- "'The West' and the 'Islamic World'": The perception of a clash of civilizations between the 'West' and the 'Islamic World' which is leading to dangerous developments on both sides of the Mediterranean.
- "Russia, Ukraine and 'the West'": The repercussions of the Russian-Ukrainian conflict and the challenges for civil society in Eastern Europe and Russia to cope with situations of war and ideological and nationalist regression and hatred
Papers, projects, presentations: What can be submitted?
- NECE welcome papers or project descriptions for the different conference formats related to or focussing on the following areas:
- Projects, models or methods of civil education that raise awareness for societal othering processes and/or discuss the question how to deal with their consequences (e.g. projects for the prevention and treatment of anti-Semitism, Islamophobia, antiziganism and other forms of racial discrimination.
- Projects, strategies or programmes aimed at preventing the radicalisation of youth in terms of jihadism /salafism.
- Practical approaches, models for inclusive work with groups affected by othering (e.g. refugees)
Contact: Bundeszentrale für politische Bildung
Phone: 0049 228 99515289